Sample Shop Worker
Produce and assemble components of articles such as armoires, night stands, dressers, and headboards.
- Verify demensions, and the check the quality and fit of pieces in order to ensure adherence to specifications.
- Setup and operate machines including power saws, jointers, mortisers, tenoner, molders, and shapers, to cut, mold, and shape woodstock and wood substitutes.
- Measure and mark dimensions of parts on paper or lumber stock prior to cutting, following blueprints, to ensure a tight fit and quality product.
- Reinforce joints with nails or other fasteners to prepare articles for finishing.
- Attach parts and subassemblies together to form completed units, using glue, dowels, nails, screws, and/or clamps.
- Establish the specifications of articles to be constructed or repaired, and plan the methods and operations for shaping and assembling parts, based on blueprints, drawings diagrams, or oral or written instructions.
- Cut timber to the right size and shape and trim parts of joints to ensure a snug fit, suing hand tools such as planes, chisels, or wood files.
- Match materials for color, grain, and texture, giving attention to knots and other features of the wood.
- Trim, sand, and scrape surfaces and joints to prepare articles for finishing.
- Bore holes for insertions of screws or dowels, by hand or using boring machines.
JOB RELATED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Woodworking experience
- Valid driver's license
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- 2+ years of college (associates degree preferred)